I used to believe that I was the ultimate Spice Girls fan, I even used them as a topic for one of my speeches in my Comm 3 class. But that was only until the time that they were still a group and the first time they launched their solo careers. After that, I never really followed the girls and their music anymore. I would see updates every now and then, but I think they sounded better when they were together. Individually, they were all good artists, but their songs didn’t really have that much of a recall for me.
So when Emma posted a teaser for a new album this year, I wasn’t that excited at all. As a Spice Girl fan, I felt betrayed – how can she do this, she should be gearing up for their reunion? But well… I should at least be supportive, right? That’s why I downloaded it immediately and now, here’s my (too) Honest review of My Happy Place.
- Baby Please Don’t Stop – Baby opens the album with this fun track. It reminds me of “What Took You So Long.” It probably is the signature Baby Spice Pop, not to dance-y but very light and chill and flirty. Keep It.
- I Wish I Could Have Loved You More – for some reason, this song reminds me of grandmothers. It sounds like something your grandma would sing when she’s trying to make you take an afternoon siesta. Delete It.
- Too Many Teardrops – I downloaded it immediately upon the release, and deleted it immediately after. I didn’t like it. But now that she released the full album, I listened for the second time and realized that it’s worth keeping, at least for a month or two. The lyrics are good.
- I Only Want to Be with You (feat. Will Young) – I think this is a revival? Felt like I’ve heard it before. I also don’t know who Will Young is (I had to Google), but the song was good. Keep it for a while.
- Don’t Call Me Baby – YES! THE SAME SONG BY MADISON AVENUE! THE GAY CLUB ANTHEM OF THE 2000s! OMG. Her version is so perfect! Something that only Baby Spice can deliver! DEFINITELY KEEPING IT!
- You’re All I Need to Get By (feat. Jade Jones) – I love that she did a song with her partner because this just shows that they do make good music together. I’m excited that they’re getting married soon. Keep it.
- Come Away with Me (feat. Josh Kumra) – another guy not in my radar. He looks good, so even if I didn’t really like this Norah Jones song, I’m going to keep it for a while.
- Emotion – better than Destiny’s Child’s version. Keep it.
- 2 Become 1 (feat. Robbie Williams) – any Spice Girl song sung by any Spice Girl is perfect to me. Even if I don’t like Robbie Williams, I am going to Keep it.
- Here Comes the Sun – her son appears in the song, it’s a light lovely version. Keep it.
Surprisingly, I loved My Happy Place. I thought I would be bored because Emma’s music is like that; it’s the type you would listen to while chilling on a Sunday. Great work, Baby.